I recently appeared on a podcast, that is supported by a horror film-related website. I never have appeared on a podcast in my life and it really was the furthest thing from my life. I am a struggling author and writing about horror has always been my dream. Since I also write for the site, it is encouraged that I appear with my fellow writers. http://morbidlybeautiful.com/calling-hours-podcast/
#Horror #morbidlybeautiful.com #taveradeltoro #thecallinghourspodcast
I was terrified the night before and slept for three hours. Panic and fear wracked my body. “what was I doing?” , “this is dumb!” and serious fears about my voice( I still am not passable with my female voice, I am transgender) sent me into terror land. I was about to call and cancel my appearance.
Then I recalled something, everything I felt total fear for doing has always helped me in some ways, and I always look back at it with pride. Okay, I could look like a damn idiot (maybe), sound like a grandmother(really), and just come off very negatively. But what the hell, we only live once.
The host was nice and calmed me down. Since it was all remote, I actually did it by phone and a headset(helped me hear better-good advice). I can’t say his name but he is a very experienced and knowledgeable vet of the genre.
I started off a bit in shock and lucky for me, the other guest was smart and knew his stuff. It took me some time to get going and I calmed down as the hour went by, and it felt like it was a call between friends/ work.
I won’t say I did a professional job but here are some tips.
- Carry water nearby, you’ll get dry-voiced.
- Do your research. Know the topic very well and take notes. Don’t lose them as I did, make a copy!
- Practice your listening skills, think of it as a date, in public, don’t lose focus and manners.
- Be patient, don’t blurt out whatever comes into your mind. Think and be deliberate.
- Be polite, don’t get angry. Let others speak.
- Thank your host and other guests.
- Please do your research and have an extra device to scan for info (I needed a tablet with my phone).
- Whatever the topic, write a page explaining your beliefs and thinking. It’ll help you sound coherent.
- Speak loudly and clearly. Voice lessons and self-practice.
- It’s not as bad as you think. Believe in you.